Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Everyday I get a little better

So I am now in week 4 of my internship and I must say that right at week 3 I finally clicked with my job and things have been going amazing for me.  At first it seemed like everything I made turned out wrong; frittatas, cookies, scones, even soups, you name it.  But almost like magic, everything started coming out amazing at the beginning of week 3.  Now, scones are coming out of the oven beautifully golden brown and fluffy.  My brownies are insanely chocolaty and decadently moist.  Two soups (Tomato and Basil & Sweet potatoes with coconut and ginger) were possibly the best soups I have ever made.  I think I have finally gotten the hang of how to make really good brown soda bread after several less the amazing loaves.  While there are many other things coming out nice now, I think the one I am most proud of is a New-York style lemon-blueberry cheesecake.  Not only did I know that it came out perfect, but everyone else who works here thought it was amazing (one girl said it was the best thing ever made at the shop) and it sold out completely in two days.  I am currently working on making a recipe for a Baileys Cheesecake which will be featured in a magazine article about discovering Ireland.

Basically, the first two weeks were me getting the hang of a new kitchen and now I feel as if all the stuff I have learned as a home cook is allowing me to make some pretty great food.  However, I am still playing it pretty safe by cooking things I am familiar with.  My plan as of right now is to continue doing this for at least another week and a half until I reach the half-way point.  Then for the second half I really want to push myself technically and creatively by making things I have never done before.  I still need to make some food items for the lunch menu and I think my first one is going to be a grilled cheese with ham and sun-dried tomato pesto.  While that might seem really basic back home, people here don't eat grilled cheese so I am hoping to introduce them to an American classic with my own twist and using really good Irish cheddar.  I will let you all know what people think.

No comments:

Post a Comment